UK ALA Client Money Protection Property Redress Scheme
Bookmark and Share HMO PASS

HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation)

In order to be an House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), a property must be used as the tenants’ only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence, and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.

How do I know if I need a HMO licence?

Under the changes in the Housing Act 2004, if you let a property which is one of the following types it is classed as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), and requires a licence:

If you can answer yes to the following questions, you may need a licence:

You should check with the local authority where your property is located as some local authorities may also license smaller HMOs.

Let GoHaven help you!

If you are unsure whether you will need an HMO licence for your property, please contact our lettings team - we will be only happy to provide you with expert advice relating to your property. 


"letting agents huddersfield" "property managed hd1" "agents hd1" "rental huddersfield" "management huddersfield" "gohaven lettings" "home improvements huddersfield" "houses for rent huddersfield" "flat to let huddersfield"

Search lettings

Valuation request

Contact us today for a valuation of your property.

Request a valuation